Johnny Winston, Jr. has been a long time advocate for our youth and community since graduating from West high school in 1986. Currently, he is employed as a firefighter/emergency medical technician for the City of Madison Fire Department along with his duties as an elected member of the Madison school board. Winston has held many professional and volunteer positions working with children, youth and families in the Madison community. He was elected to the Madison School Board in 2004 and was selected President by his colleagues in 2006.
He is involved in local committees and social groups. In 2005, Madison Magazine selected him one of Madison's Top 40 under 40. He is also the founder and organizer of the annual "Streetball & Block Party" event held in Penn Park for the past 6 years. Proceeds are given directly to local charitable programs that benefit the community and support education such as the Boys & Girls Club of Dane County and Southside Raiders Youth Football Program.
Mr. Winston's community efforts stem from strong bloodlines. He is the son of Madison's first African American police officer, Johnny Winston, Sr. and community activist Mona Adams-Winston. He is the grandson of Addrena Squires, known to many as "Super Gram", who participates on many boards, committees and volunteers in several Madison schools. Born in South Bend, Indiana and raised in Madison, Johnny attended kindergarten through 12th grade in Madison schools. He attended Lindbergh and Franklin Elementary, Lincoln and Van Hise (now Velma Hamilton) Middle and graduated from West High School. He completed his Masters degree in Management from Cardinal Stritch University in 2003.
Mr. Winston is married to Dr. Angela Byars-Winston, Assistant Professor in Counseling Psychology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. They have one child, three year old, Jasmine. He has two adult children, Tammie and Tasia.
Madison School Board Political History
- Elected to Madison School Board in April 2004.
- Chair of Community Partnerships Committee, 2004-05. Member of the Long Range Planning and Human Resources Committees. Served on Business and Education Partnership Committee.
- Chair of Finance and Operations Committee, 2005-06. Member of Human Resources Committee and Community Partnerships Committee.
- Board President, 2006-07. Board representative for the Tax Incremental Finance Committee of the City of Madison, Town of Madison and City of Fitchburg.
- Firefighter, City of Madison, September 1996 to present
- Center Director of Vera Court Neighborhood Center, April 1994 to September 1996
- Social Service Aide, Dane County Human Services, June 1993 to July 1994
- Home School Coordinator of Leopold Elementary School (MMSD), October 1988 to June 1993
- Madison West High School (June 1986)
- Associates in Fire Science, Mount Senario College (December 1999)
- Bachelors of Science in Public Administration, Mount Senario College (December 1999)
- Certificate in Public Management, University of Wisconsin-Madison (May 2003)
- Masters of Science in Management, Cardinal Stritch University (December 2003)
- City of Madison Firefighters union Local 311 - Past member of executive board
- 100 Black Men of Madison - Member of the board of directors
- Sable Flames, Inc. - Past President
- Southern Wisconsin Officials Association
- Mount Zion Baptist Church
- Madison Network of Black Professionals
- Progressive Dane
- Democratic Party